Thursday, September 3, 2009

Stating the Obvious

I tried my best but could not find ANY evidence online about the FCC/FTC unwritten rules which require ALL advertising and dramatic portrayals which may be taken in a negative manner to be portrayed ONLY by white people. I mean - I get it! It makes sense that there should be a reasonable representation of minority 'good guys' on TV - but does EVERY douche bag have to be a white guy? This person on Yahoo Answers summed it up the best...

"Over the last few years I've noticed a trend in television shows and advertising. If someone is to be portrayed as a criminal, bum, or lowlife, they are almost always white and male. The "Living Above The Influence" commercials ALWAYS show white teen boys taking drugs. The rapists and pedophiles in Law and Order are ALWAYS white and 99.9% male. The credit card commercials that show people living it up on some stolen card always show white people as the thieves. It's all over, check it out. Just notice if the person in the commercial or show is a lowlife or idiot and then note the sex and gender...by far its white males."

Another example which I've noticed are the commercials for car and home alarm systems or insurance companies which always show some white guy doing a home invasion or auto theft! Oh, and it helps if the arresting cop is black - maybe the judge too! Hmmm, that's not what I see every night on the news. Oops, there I go trying to live in reality again. VKF

No comments: